Monday, February 13, 2012

MIGHTY MUSTARD


Last year I grew a small patch of white mustard (Synapsis alba) and Black Mustard (Brassica nigra). A spring over-run with earwigs did not go well for the seedlings and only a few were saved. Still, a large amount of seed was produced and gathered Large, that is, for the 4-5 plants I had. I ground this seed, mixing it with vinegar to make my own mustard condiment. I managed to make about 3 tablespoons of finished mustard. The ratio of Black to White Mustard was about 55% black:45% white so the resulting product was quite hot and spicy. After a month or so in the refrigerator, it toned down a bit and was quite good.


This year, I took some of the seed I had saved as well as some Brown Mustard seed (Brassica juncea) and tried again.  I planted much earlier, this time in the Fall rather than the Spring.  The plants had a little trouble with some late fall heat but otherwise have done very well.  The White Mustard is now over 2 meters (6 feet) tall and starting to bloom.  The Black is only about half as high which may be accounted for because it is on the East side of the White, and is now shaded every afternoon.  The brown has spent it's time mostly as a short bunch of large leaves, but it is now beginning to lengthen as the blooming stalk forms.

If seed set is as large as last year, I shall have a bumper crop!


No comments:

Post a Comment